Saturday, January 30, 2010

Nothing New Under the Sun

I thought this was pretty interesting, a 200 a.d. Roman multi tool.

(from frontierfolk.net )


" Many historians credit Englishman Thomas Coryat, who having traveled "south" in 1608, wrote ao, in a book titled "Coryat's Curdities Hastily gobbled up in Five Months Travels in France, Savoy, Italy, &c.," published in London, 1611- as having introduced the fork to England.

I observed a custome in all those Italian Cities and Townes through which I passed, that is not used in any other country that I saw in my travels, neither do I thinke that any other nation of Christendome doth use it, but only Italy. The Italian, and also most strangers that are commorant in Italy, doe alwaies, at their meales use a little forke when they cut the meate; for while with their knife, which they hold in one hand, they cut the meate out of the dish, they fasten their forke which they hold in their other hande, upon the same dish, so that whatsoever he be that sitteth in the company of any others at meate, should unadvisedly touch the dish of meate with his fingers, from which all at the table doe cut he will give occasion of offence unto the company as having transgressed the lawes of good manners, insomuch for his error he shall be at least browbeaten, if not reprehended in words. This forme of feeding I understand is generally used in all places of Italy, their forks being for the most part made of yron or steele, and some of silver, but those are used only by gentlemen. The reason of this their curiosity, is because the Italian cannot by any means endure to have his dish touched with fingers, seeing all men's fingers are not alike cleane. Hereupon I myselfe thought good to imitate the Italian fashion by this forked cutting of meate, not only while I was in Italy, but also in Germany, and oftentimes in England, since I came home, being once quipped for that frequent using of my forke by a certain learned gentleman a familiar friend of mine, one Mr. Lawrence Whittaker, who in his merry humour, doubted not to call me at table Furcifer, only for using a forke at feeding but for no other cause.

Even through the 17th century, teh fork was more a matter of the upper classes who could afford the novelty of the status associated with them.

Some historians put the normally, usually, generally popular use of the fork in America just before the Civil War when etiquette shifted with the ways meals were eaten with the Service Russe replacing the Service Francais.
That being said, forks are claimed to be attributed to British soldier Rev War camps.

Four tyne forks date to Frnace in the lte 17th century as a way to deal with food sliidng off or fallling through the two tyne fork. "

2 comments:

Teddy said...

So I see now, I guess I am the only one around here who has a passion for the study of eating utensils. I'll avoid this subject from here on! ;) as for me I'll keep my fork

Christy Joy said...

lol teddy