Sunday, March 21, 2010

Holes in my Soles



It's that time of year again, after likely hundreds of miles and an encounter with my mothers dog, I need to make some fresh footwear for the summer. I have big plans, lol. To quote Doddridge, an 18th century colonial frontier traveling preacher, "dae are just a decent way of goin barefoot." He wasn't the most flattering documenter of his frontier congregations, lol. I'm going all out this time, iroquois style beadwork, the works! lol, unless I get lazy. If I feel really motivated, maybe I'll go for porcupine quillwork :) Now I just need to find a poor deceased porky to slap w/ my shirt, and borrow a coat from an unfortunate jaywalking whitetail...;) Now that will make an educating post! (as my last layer of pride falls away, lol)

MANLY MOCCS

7 comments:

Caitlin said...

A decent way of going barefoot!!!!!!!
hehe :)
I love it!

Katalin said...

lol I never understood why the Natives made fancy ones if they wore out so fast...maybe they only wore the fancy ones on special occasions.

Teddy said...

:) To tell you the truth Caitlin, that is usually the reason that I wear moccasins. I can take them most anywheres that going barefoot is "unacceptable." A couple years ago I realized that I could stop doing the never ending job of patching holes, my theory is that at least the visible part of my foot is in a "shoe" lol. I'm trying hard to act more "civilized," but there are just some things that are too good to give up. ;) I only make new moccasins once my toes start popping through the bottom, lol, that gets kinda uncomfortable.
And Katie, you are exactly right about the fancy quilled ones being saved for special occasions. They are the "primitive church shoe." Of course you know though, sometimes you can't let even that hold you back from rushing off on some great adventure! ;)

Christy Joy said...

Man, I need to wear mine more. I think they are lonely.

Teddy said...

lol, I will send you some of my old pairs to keep them company. They have plenty of stories to tell, and a couple of them look like they are about to spring legs of their own pretty soon anyways. ;) On second thought, you better get yourself a cage first.

Caitlin said...

I was frequently scolded for going barefoot when I was in academy :)I was generally a law abiding citizen... but I would often kick off my foot wear (under a desk for example) and then walk off and forget wear I left them - hehe. The faculty were often asking me to go put shoes on... and my dear friends were either finding them for me or hiding them (ahem).
But I like to feel the ground under my feet... when I do buy shoes I have to be able to bend them almost in half - flexibility is important :)

Teddy said...

:) I completely understand ya Caitlin. The "shoe rule" was almost enough to convince me to head home my first summer at camp. I felt so persecuted, lol. And I do the exact same thing when buying new shoes :) they need to be REALLY bendy, which isn't easy at all to find in mens shoes.