Sunday, February 28, 2010

Come around here, and I'll hit ya with the book! ;)

I've have always loved to read and was extremely interested in studying everything I possibly could, so my Grandparents on both sides did their best to supply me with GREAT amounts of books. But my very favorite as a young reader, was an Orange encyclopedia set. There was always something new to learn, and I spent hours and hours pouring over them page by page every evening.

I was thinking of this last night, and that reminded me of something I used to do when I was quite little. As soon as visitors would show up, I would hurriedly count heads and rush to my book shelves to find the exact encyclopedia volume that would most interest each one. Lol. Once everyone was seated in the living room I would emerge with my stack of orange books and hand them out to everyone, Lol. When I think back, I am amazed at how often so many people would act interested and would point out little facts from their book for me. This made me feel so good! And of course if they didn't read their recommended volume, I still felt obligated to entertain, so I would go look for a more proper volume and give them pointers on which pages they should be focusing on. :) My vast array of Indian and Nature books was my last resort, and I wasn't above reading to my chosen illiterate slacker in my quest to educate those around me. :)

Now I'm kinda curious about what happened to those encyclopedias. But for some reason we don't seem to get any visitors anymore? Hmm...?

4 comments:

Katalin said...

Lol, No way...I use to spend hours looking at our encyclopedias as well. although I never bombard my poor visitor's with them. :P
haha, btw I like the new pictures. :)

Teddy said...

I would still enjoy my encyclopedias "if I could just find them!" Lol, Does that surprise you any? Got lotsa of pictures to bombard my visitors with now ;)

Caitlin said...

Just think Teddy! One of those visitors may have happened across a piece of information that stuck with them... and it may have saved someones life! You never know! Just think how much better society has become because you passed out orange encyclopedias :)

Teddy said...

Lol, yeah that was my hopeful intentions. ;) We can always leave it to you Caitlin to bring out the brightest side of everything! I know you have changed more for the better in your way, than even my orange encyclopedias. Thank you, I always appreciate the kind encouragement! :)