Sunday, February 21, 2010

"Rocking" w/ John Denver? An oxymoron? I think not!



I can still remember that day in particular, just like it was yesterday, and after we talked about it today, I guess she can too. It was such a beautiful warm and sunny early summer day, just a little under 20 years ago. My mother and I was spending the day at my grandparents home just across town (listening to old records and playing on the floor). Then I can see the light streaming through the old farmhouse livingroom windows, and hear my mothers voice singing to me. Songs that didn't seem quite as familiar to me as they do today, but nevertheless were calming, peaceful, and beautiful. I still feel the discomfort of the arms of that old wooden rocking chair prodding me as I squirmed around trying to find a softer place in her arms.(I was a big baby, I probably was barely 6 months old in this picture! ;) Lol) It seems so funny to think of now, Lol. I don't think I ever found that comfortable spot that I was looking for, but thats O.K. because I guess I was awake to form these happiest of memories for all of these years later.



As I was growing up, my mother listened almost exclusively to "John Denver," and I believe that the values expressed in much of his music became one of the biggest influences of my life,(his goofy 70's "Folky Westernish" style of dress is quite another story altogether. ;) Yeah, I got my own goofy style!) . He most often sang simple songs about life, love, family, farms and the biggest thing that seems to set him apart was that they were filled with images from nature. My family had always encouraged me to notice and study all of the things out in nature, but I think his music is one of the first things to make me think that there was something special about the woods and to create an irresistable pull for me out there. Maybe I am biased growing up with it, but it seems to be true to all of those I know who listen.

So I still remember so clearly most of the songs that she sang as she rocked me on that day. And either directly, or indirectly, some of my favorites have come to be about children, or songs that my "Mommy" adapted to better fit her purposes as she sang. ( for instance, "My Sweet Baby", might be much better known as "My Sweet Lady." But we won't have to tell anybody now will we. Lol ) All of these years later, and now I often play them to her in the evenings. Lol, but I skip over the whole rocking thing, I remember how uncomfortable that was. Now I am just starting to get over a cold, and I just about lost my voice this morning and can still barely breathe, but I find it irresistable to sing when the urge hits me, so at least I am sure ya'll will enjoy the funny faces I can't help but make when I try. Lol

"Zachary and Jennifer" is one of my very favorites, especially the last line of the song.


"Annies Song" was a love song for his wife, but my mother seemed to think that it fit well enough for her baby, Lol. I think I can agree.


"My Sweet Baby," not the actual title, but I still like it much better. This is something along the lines of a lullaby, kinda-sorta. (This is the one I remember the clearest)


And "For Baby, for Bobbie" yet another love song that also became a song about children. Makes no difference anyways.


So if ya survived at least a few of those, here in lies my lesson for today. Don't ever think that children won't remember, enjoy them and spend time with them when they are still young and impressionable, fill their little minds with love and they won't ever forget that you did. I don't know about you, but I really feel like I had my life all figured out by time I was 3, Lol, what things I care about and strive for, haven't hardly changed a bit. And #2 if you ever find your self rocking your own child, be sure you sing a song you wont mind hearing in 20 years, over, and over, and over...


5 comments:

Donovan said...

Thanks for sharing. I loved it!

Thanks for passing on the love your mom gave to you.

Teddy said...

Thank you Mr. Kurtz, I feel very blessed to be raised in the loving family I was, God has been so good to me in every way.

But I'm rethinking about the wisdom of singing those songs w/ my congestion. Lol. Didn't hurt nobody though, I hope. ;)

Caitlin said...

Thanks for sharing! It reminded me of all the songs that my mom would sing us to sleep with :) "Wings", the one about raindrops that Christy calls the cello song, my little brothers favorite about a teddy bear... and I like picking up new ones too :) It's good to have lullabies in your pocket. You never know when you might need one! I've sung lullabies and hymns to my campers each night, my patients in the hospital, horses, babies in Brazil, and roommates and suitemates when they're feeling sick. It makes a wonderful difference! I recommend learning and singing lullabies to anyone!

Teddy said...

Caitlin, you always have the perfect songs at the perfect times. I can't imagine how many you have comforted with your singing. Don't ever stop! :) Which reminds me that I heard a lullaby I thought you would like, and saved to send some time.

Christy Joy said...

ah teddy, what a great post! And I'm amazed at all these videos you posted! It makes me want to practice my guitar. It has been far too neglected as of late.

I'm so glad you have a blog!